Unlike many other forms of writing, an article critique throws many college students off balance. Its writing format, structure, diction, and style are a nut too hard to crack for most scholars. If this is you, count this article as your life savior. Keep reading.
What Is an Article Critique?
An intensive analysis of the article is therefore needed to arrive at an objective criticism. Through this task, you help the audience:
- Understand the significant points of the article
- Identify the ideas and intentions of the author
- Know whether the article was a success or not
- Analyze the strengths and weakness of the paper
Therefore, it is essential to know how to write an article critique so that the purpose of criticism comes out. Scroll down for more.
How To Critique An Article: Steps To Follow
Before you begin writing a research article critique example, you must know what transpires behind the scenes. Our writing gurus recommend the following steps whenever you want to start such a task:
- Keenly read the article for at least three times to fully understand the authors:
- Target audience
- Authority in the field
- Look at the article from a critical point of view
- Did the author follow common logic?
- Are there any biased opinions?
- How does the author interpret other texts?
- How has he/she used language?
- Use of sources (are they authoritative and reliable?)
- Start with an article critique draft.
- Highlight the main points
- Determine where there may be a deficiency
- Identify the format you are going to use
Once you complete the critical steps above, it’s now time to get into the actual writing process. Below is how to structure your paper.
How To Critique a Research Article: Outline and Structure
It is vital to structure your paper in such a manner as to give it an easy flow. The following is the basic structure of any article critique assignment:
- The author’s name, title, and publication date of the article
- The author’s main idea
- A precise thesis statement that sets the stage for the direction of your critique
- Summary: How to summarize and critique an article
- The central theme of the article
- The strong arguments brought out by the author
- The general conclusion or findings of the article
- Critique the article
- What are the ups and downs of the nursing article?
- How relevant is the article to the health concern raised
- What is the accuracy of the article on nursing terminologies?
- Concluding an article critique
The introductory paragraph should include the following:
Consider writing the introduction precisely and to the point. The reader should readily point out the title, author, publication date, and publication place in this section.
After giving the icing on the cake in the intro, it’s time to provide an insight into the ingredients of the article you are critiquing. The following points should come out clearly in the summary of the article:
Since this type of writing is much longer, the summary can take 3-4 paragraphs, depending on the length and intensity of the article you are critiquing. Arrange your paragraphs in a manner that brings out the three points. Remember that it is from the summary that the reader can understand your point of view in the criticism.
It takes a significant chunk of the paper. From the arguments you’ve raised in summary, you will now analyze and discuss each point while critiquing them. You can also provide your comments and opinions at this stage.
For a nursing research article critique example, use the following points:
As you critique the article, ensure that you use specific examples from it. For instance, in a journal article critique example on education, draw your arguments from the author’s education perspective.
After critiquing your paper, it’s time to summarize your arguments.
A top-notch research article critique example should contain the following:
- A summary of the article’s crucial points
- Summarize the key points from your analysis
- Comment on the significance of the research
- Point out the possibility of future research on the topic
The conclusion should suggest ways of further improving the article or points that need emphasis.
Expert Tips on How To Write an Article Critique
For your paper to stand out, there are vital considerations that you have to bear in mind.
- The format
- Build on your critical thinking skills
There are two possible formats that you can use; APA or MLA. These two come in handy when you are making citations and referencing the sources. Most institutions follow the APA format article critique though it is recommended to check with your supervisor before proceeding with any format.
You can request an example of an article critique from our guru writers to better format your article critique paper.
Every student wishing to write a top-tier article critique paper should have sharp critical thinking skills. In a nursing research article critique example, you will have to analyze the health issue at hand before critiquing it critically.
The complexity of this assignment makes writing help inevitable. We offer quality, fast, cheap, and pro online help to all students. You can also find an article critique example from our experts to give you the inspiration you need.