Students always find difficult to write an essay on argumentative essay topics. Writing an argumentative essay has two tasks. One task is to find the right essay topic for your college and second task is to write a well-researched argumentative essay on it. The argumentative essay can be written on different topics. To do that, you need to have a guide to write the best essay on the selected topic.
Let us look at some of the online topics on the argumentative essay at different levels of education. As the level of difficulty varies from class to class, we will group essay topics into different categories and school level.
Definition of argumentative essay
To find argumentative essay topics easy on different platforms, you need to understand about the argumentative essay.
Argumentative essay is all about arguing and debating on a topic, which is debatable. The main focus and aim of the essay are to convince and persuade the reader in believing your point of view on the topic.
The topics are subjected to analysis, reporting, processing and drawing conclusions. In this article, we have listed many argumentative essay topics easy for students. A student should know how to argue on the specific topic without using any shallow or the fluffy content.
Argumentative essay topics for college
College is for a high level of study. If you are in a college and want to write an argumentative essay, you should choose a topic of high importance. The topic should reflect your study and class level. You cannot choose school level argumentative essay topics for college. College level debates are of high intensity. Similarly, topics should be of high-level arguments. Arguments in argumentative essay topics for college include quantitative analysis, qualitative analysis, reasoning, logic, references, and comparison. These topics require detailed research and reasoning.
When it comes to the middle school, the argumentative essay includes moderate topics. These topics are mainly associated with their studies. More often than not, the argumentative essay topics for the middle school includes relative topics like sports, education, behavior, science, social issues etc. The amount and intensity of argument are not extreme. The purpose of assigning an essay to middle school students is to create awareness and help them to develop writing skills. When it comes to the high school, the argumentative essay includes the moderate study of the topic. The argumentative essay topics for high school students include all of the topics mentioned above. However, the study detail is not too deep. Generally, it does not include references and quotes in it. However, it is allowed to dig deep to provide the best essay on the topic. Take a look at this example below:
151 Topics List for an Argumentative Essay
The following are very simple topics for argumentative essays. You can choose a stand, and explain why you consider better that choice above the other. Check them out:
- Dogs vs. cats.
- Pizza vs. hamburgers.
- Star Wars vs. Star Trek.
- Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi.
- McDonalds vs. Burger King.
- Facebook vs. Twitter.
- Instagram vs. Pinterest.
- Movies vs. series.
- PDF books vs. regular books.
- Hard work vs. talent.
Controversial Argumentative Essay Topics
We all know that argumentative essays must be based on controversies, but there are some topics that are more controversial than others. In this list you will see some of the topics used the most for writing argumentative essays. Take a look:
- Should same-sex marriage be allowed?
- Is racism ok?
- Does having tattoos mean someone is a bad or mean person?
- Should euthanasia be allowed?
- Should same-sex parenting be allowed?
- Should we tolerate discrimination?
- Is ok to judge people regarding their social status?
- Should there be gun control measurements?
- Should marijuana be legal?
- Is prostitution ok?
Food Essay Topics
Food is a very good topic to create debates. If you do not believe us, check this list. You will probably find a different and great topic you will like to write about.
- Homemade food vs. fast food.
- Is eating meat ok?
- Drinking water vs. drinking soda.
- Gluten-free food vs. food with gluten.
- Fried food vs. baked food.
- Lactose-free food vs. regular food.
- Is pizza a healthy meal?
- Should kids eat snacks?
- Are energy drinks healthy?
- Should adults stop drinking milk?
Animals Argumentative Essay Topics
Because we live with animals and have great attachment with them, essay topics on animals tend to be very interesting and passionate too. You can look for an argumentative essay topic about animals in areas such as conservation, animal rights, and testing, among others. Here are some great suggestions.
- Why medical animal testing is justifiable.
- Euthanizing stray animals is ethical.
- It is important to conserve endangered animals than non-endangered ones.
- Capturing and keeping wild animals as pets is unethical.
- Sophisticated animals such as primates should not be used in laboratory tests.
- Dissecting animals as a study tool in schools is unethical.
- Tethering animals such as dogs is inhumane.
- Hunting as a sport is a great pastime.
- Conservation is bad: Why we should let nature take its course and allow animals to get extinct.
- Killing domestic animals for meat and other products is inhumane.
Argumentative Essay Topics On Immigration
If you are assigned a paper about immigration, make sure to look for topics to write about from hot present and past subjects. Here are some great argumentative essay topic ideas on immigration to consider.
- Immigration is the biggest problem in the US today.
- How does immigration impact minimum wage in the US?
- How can the US immigration policy be improved?
- Analyzing the positive impacts of immigration in the US.
- How did the immigration system in the US change after 9/11?
- What is the effectiveness of using border walls to control illegal immigration into the US?
- What are the main problems associated with immigration in Europe?
- What should the EU do to undocumented immigrants?
- What are the sources of illegal immigrants in the EU?
- Immigration and criminal justice: How are they related?
Music Argumentative Essay Topics
Writing an argumentative essay in music can be fun and very satisfying. You have more flexibility to look at music not just from the entertainment point of view, but from how it relates to other disciplines. Here are some great topics to argue about in music.
- Is modern pop music as great as the pop music of the 1960s?
- How did the development of the internet affect music?
- How do you think portable devices’ evolution will affect the music industry in the future?
- What role does music play in a country’s development?
- Is music a disturbance in the modern workplace?
- What is the future of music streaming in top sites?
- Music producers have more powers in shaping the industry than musicians.
- Will the era of downloading spell doom for the music streaming industry?
- Is parental label warning on music with offensive lyrics necessary?
- Should violent lyrics be banned?
Argumentative Essay Topics On Education
Education is another interesting subject because it has very many areas you can focus on. From the best argumentative research topics in education psychology to curriculum design, you will never miss ideas to work on. Here is an essay topics list on education that you can use to pick the best option to write on:
- Is cheating in college getting worse?
- Should students be tested for drugs in school?
- Should education sponsorship by alcohol and tobacco companies be banned?
- Should schools abolish standardized tests as a method of measuring student abilities?
- Rewards for top-performing students or more support to poor performers: Which is more important?
- Arts subjects should be abandoned in school.
- Are school days too short?
- Cyberbullying: How should it be addressed?
- Are parents-teachers conferences necessary?
- What are the best methods of punishing deviant students?
6th Grade Argumentative Essay Topics
By the time a student gets to sixth grade, he/she should be able to explore easy argumentative essay topics on a broader perspective compared to learners at the elementary level. Therefore, great essay topic ideas for 6th graders include:
- Giving kids too much cash is bad.
- People who brutalize their pets should be jailed.
- Freedom of speech should be limited.
- Children who get poor grades should be punished.
- Shorter hair is better than longer hair.
- Why should we allow all students to go and study abroad?
- Every child should be allowed to own a smartphone.
- Computer games should be used for classroom training.
- How do animals survive cold weather in Antarctica?
- Keeping pet monkeys is inhuman.
Many of the debates that are happening today are regarding technology. Technology indeed changed our lives, but how much? Use these topics for your next argumentative essays:
- Will robots get to replace people at their jobs?
- Are the current technological developments necessary or should we focus in other things?
- Apple vs. Android.
- Can technology and education work together?
- Is technology making people to become less proactive?
- Can Artificial Intelligence be dangerous?
- Can a bank account be safe enough not be hacked?
- Are humans already totally dependent of technology?
- Is technology affecting the environment?
- Are video games harmful or useful?
Being a teenager is complicated. There are many things you want to live, many things you feel, and you just do not know if some of the things you do are ok or not. Check these ideas and see if one is interesting enough for you to write about it.
- Should teenagers drink alcohol?
- Should teenagers focus on their classes or on helping at home?
- Should teenagers smoke tobacco?
- Should teenagers say curse words?
- Should teenagers have sex?
- Do teenagers really know their sexual orientation?
- Is it ok for teenagers to watch pornography?
- Why teenagers sometime enjoy more using their cellphones rather than sharing with their families?
- Should teenagers take their own decisions regarding extra-curricular activities?
- Should teenagers use date apps?
Art can be a subject for many debates. From painting to the film industry, each day there are more and more topics you can use for an argumentative essay. These are some of them:
- Do the OSCARs rewards good films or very popular films?
- Old pop vs new pop.
- Is techno really music?
- Are women being underestimated in the film industry?
- Is graffiti art?
- Is art being appreciated the way it should be?
- Are ready-mades art?
- Is racism happening in the film industry?
- Auteur cinema vs commercial cinema.
- Is it ok to show explicit nudity in movies?
Social Media and Advertising
Social media is creating a lot of debates today. Despite your position, you can use these topics for your next argumentative essay. Check them out:
- Are social networks making people to be less social?
- Is it ok to show homosexual couples in advertisings?
- Is it ok to use Photoshop in women for advertising?
- Have women become objects thanks to advertising?
- Do we try to present a false version of ourselves in social networks?
- Can relationships based on social networks work?
- Should explicit nudity be banned in social media?
- Can discrimination be eradicated from social media?
- Does advertising promote a vain lifestyle?
- Is social media affecting our languages?
Debates can be created from anything, and that includes sports. There are many aspects about a sport that can be argued in an essay. These are some of those aspects:
- Can chess be considered a sport?
- Can video games be considered sports?
- Should sport players use steroids?
- Can sport teams be made up by both men and women?
- Why soccer players earn so much money?
- Are there good reasons to play sports?
- Is it totally necessary to be in good health conditions to play a sport?
- Why golf is considered a sport?
- Can someone make of playing sports a living?
- Is it talent or hard work necessary for playing sports?
Economics and Law
Some of the argumentative essays made of a topic regarding economics or law are very controversial. It is very important to choose a good topic in order to write a great paper. Take some ideas from this list:
- Communism vs. capitalism.
- Should companies give more days off?
- Is it ok to defend a criminal?
- Should death penalty exist?
- Should legal abortion be allowed?
- Is it acceptable to abuse verbally of an employee?
- Why women are better at running businesses?
- Why is corruption so common among presidents and governors?
- How reliable is the security system of your country?
- Do poor people suffer more repression by the police?
Other topics: These other topics might give you a clue about your next argumentative essay. These controversial topics are always very interesting. Try one of these for your next paper:
- Does the friend-zone exist?
- Is it better to marry while being young or while being old?
- Forgetting the birthday of your friend makes you a bad friend?
- Why are millennials underestimated?
- Do medicines really work or are they just placebo?
- Is it ok to flirt with a workmate?
- Is it wrong not to marry?
- Is it wrong not to have children?
- Do ghosts exist?
- Is it wrong to like the exact same things your friends like?
- Can you love several people at the same time?
Important points to consider before writing an argumentative essay
It is quite common to see professors, teachers or lecturers not assigning topic by themselves. So the only option you have is to search online for help to find best topics on the argumentative essay. So make sure that you choose a topic, which has values in it. Current conflicts are best topics for an argumentative essay. If the option is open then you can select topics on politics, religion, environment conditions, policies, behavior, family, education, trends, moral, society, media etc. You need to have skills to write a good essay. Skills include writing skills, finding objectives, framing topics, demonstration of examples, persuasion skills, rhetoric and logic, critical thinking, research skills and conclusion drawing. These skills will help in the captivating reader’s mind. This results in better remarks on your essay writing.
Outline of argumentative essay
The argumentative essay has a different outline from other essay writing formats. As the main aim of the topic is to provide arguments and facts, it includes four parts. First, you need to provide background or introduction to the topic and its debatable points. Then focus on opponent’s arguments and their explanation. The third step includes debating their points and debunking them one by one. This is a very critical step. If you fail to decipher their objectivity, you will not persuade the readers into believing your arguments. The final step is the nail in the coffin. Writing to the point Conclusion will help you to convey your points to the reader.
These topics will definitely help you write a perfect argumentative essay or at least give you an idea. However, if the task still seems way too hard, don’t give up and order help from professionals. There are people willing to help you, any time of the day.