Do you have a character analysis essay to write, and it is turning out to be a challenging undertaking? Character analysis is a crucial skill that you need to be able to pass your literature or English class. It can also be a fun activity but often turns out to be a daunting task for most learners. Now you do not have to worry anymore because we are here to help.
In this post, we provide a step-by-step guide on how to write a quality character analysis essay. To make the process even easier, we will also provide an expert suggestion for the outline and sample essay. Do not just settle for poor quality or failing grades; this guide is the gateway to A-rated work.
What Is A Character Analysis Essay?
This is all about evaluating the personal traits of a specific character in a publication, such as a novel or play. You analyze the story, focusing on a selected character and tracing his/her journey throughout the plot.
It is true that we can learn a lot through dialogue, but even small behavioral depictions can reveal very surprising things about the character if analyzed correctly as the plot unfolds. This is why it is so important to pay attention even to very fine details.
What Is The Purpose Of A Character Analysis Essay?
The primary purpose of character analysis is to help the reader to understand who the character is and establish how he/she was shaped. This can help us to learn from their lives. Note that the way you present the character will also depend on the targeted audience. If the audience has no idea about the book or play you are working on, it is a good idea to include more information about the background.
After that, you will need to explain the character via different situations, including things he/she did or said. To ensure the reader understands the character well, make sure to also demonstrate why specific episodes were included. Finally, you have to state the purpose of the character in the entire story.
Different Types Of Characters In A Play/ Novel
As we have indicated, the primary goal of preparing a character analysis paper is analyzing a selected character. Therefore, it is prudent to start by understanding the different types of characters.
Other characters include dynamic, minor and static. Minor characters help to tell the major character’s tale and develop the plot. Dynamic characters keep changing throughout the story. A good example is Harry Potter in the book series J.K. Rowlings. However, the static character does not change traits from the start of the story to the end.
How To Write A Character Analysis Essay
Here are the main steps that you should follow to write a great character analysis essay.
- Step One: Select the Preferred CharacterIn most cases, you will be allocated a specific character to analyze in a novel, or your teacher might leave that option open. If the class teacher did not select the character for analysis, you have to select it on your own. We must say that although the best characters are the protagonists and antagonists, it is also okay to pick any other character as long as you can get enough materials.
To pick a character, you need to read through the play, novel or book under consideration. Then, select your favorite character. For the purpose of demonstration in this post, we will use Romeo from the famous play Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.
- Step Two: Read through the Novel Thoroughly and Take NotesYou might have read the novel or play when selecting the preferred character, but now it is time to get deeper into finer details. So, pull out a notebook and make notes and do the following:
- Capture important facts and info about the character’s childhood. This will help you to understand where the character is coming from. In our case of Romeo, some of the traits, such as believing that the Capulet Family was their rival, were instilled in him when young.
- Record physical and character traits. Can you note any physical attributes of the character? For example, a character can be immature, passionate, and impulsive. In the case of Romeo, he was smart and handsome.
- Stick to the core components of the plot. Clearly demonstrate how the character fits in the core elements of a novel/play’s plot. These elements include introduction, rising action, climax, falling action, and resolution. Then, answer the question, “How does the character help in achieving/ developing the plot?”
- Step Three: Pick an Appropriate Thesis StatementIt might appear early, but you will need to have a clear thesis statement to guide the paper. The thesis comes in handy when preparing essays on characters because it helps to frame the core idea of what the paper is all about. You might want to check a few character analysis essay examples to see how other writers framed their statements.
- Step Four: Prepare the Character Essay OutlineThis is the last step before starting to write the actual character analysis essay. The format of the essay is very important because it tells you where each idea should fit when preparing the paper. Here is a sample outline to serve as your guideline for the character analysis paper that you are preparing.
- The topic of your essay: Make it as interesting as possible for the reader.
- Introduction: This is where you select the preferred character and capture his/her background. Close the introduction with a thesis statement.
- Body: This should carry the bulk of your essay. For example, you might want to introduce the character’s background in the first paragraph, capture his/her traits in the second, and bring out the relation to the plot in the third paragraph. In paragraph four, explain the character’s personal growth.
- Conclusion: This should be a summary of the main ideas that you discussed in the plot.
- Step Five: Write Your Character Analysis DraftArmed with the main points and a character analysis essay outline, it is time to do the actual writing. So, start with a draft and then refine it to make the final copy that will be handed to your school teacher. Here are some highlights on how to prepare the introduction and conclusion of the essay:
How To Start A Character Analysis Essay
One of the most challenging parts when writing a character analysis essay is preparing a high-quality introduction. So, how do you go about it?
Try to make the entire introduction as interesting as possible so that the reader can get the urge to continue reading the rest of the paper.
Also, include the thesis statement, which will be evident in the entire paper. It might be an excellent idea to practice writing the thesis statements before crafting one for the essay at hand. Also, consider checking another character analysis example to see how the thesis statement was made.
How To Conclude A Character Analysis Essay
When the process of writing an essay is nearing the end, it can also be pretty challenging for many college students. This is your moment to reflect on the entire essay and wrap it up. It is important to be extra careful to avoid leaving the reader hanging there wondering if the essay is over.
To write an excellent conclusion, it will be a good idea to restate the thesis statement, summarize the main points, and then give final thoughts.
Special Tips For Writing A Great Character Analysis Paper
Here are some awesome tips to consider when writing character analysis, from expert literature homework help writers:
Character Analysis Essay Sample
Check out the following character analysis sample for more insights and then embark on crafting a similar high quality paper from your selected play/ novel.
Seek Essay Writing Help from Professional Homework Service
In this post, we have provided the five main steps that you should follow in writing a great character analysis. If you are still finding the process of writing the essay a challenge, that should not be a reason to give up. Some students find it challenging to prepare their assignments because of limited time, having a lot of other things to do, and poor writing skills. The best alternative to ensure you prepare the best character analysis papers is to seek expert advice and work with our professional writers at our online college homework help service.
We have knowledgeable and insightful writers with a lot of experience in writing unique character analysis essays. They have been doing this for years, providing the best custom essays that college students can use for top grades. This is your turn to get the best paper and stand out in your class.
Our custom online services are also affordable, and easy to access for all students. Visit our ordering page now to place your instructions for the essay or talk to customer support for help with all types of academic assignments.