Opinions are split over whether homework is good or bad for students. Many voices advocate that homework benefits are extraordinary and that there are no cons to it. Others disagree and believe the homework is not helping students at all. And, of course, there are also people who see the positives of homework but also acknowledge some of its cons. The truth is that homework is beneficial to students. However, it is best if students learn to love working on their homework and not do it just because they risk getting bad grades otherwise. And the teachers are the people who should inspire students to do their homework out of love for the class instead of out of fear. So, let’s take a look at some of the most notable benefits of working on assignments at home – and to some of the cons as well.
Most Notable Homework Benefits for Students
Homework has been a part of the class ever since schools were established and "do my homework" is the most common question among students. Teachers assign homework so that pupils have something to work on in their spare time. There is nothing bad about this idea. Here are some of the most important homework benefits:
- Completing homework makes students more responsible and helps them learn time management skills. When they receive homework from different classes, students immediately start to manage their time so that they can complete all the assignments on time. Also, they know they are responsible for delivering the completed homework to their teachers.
- One of the benefits of homework is perseverance. Most students will not manage to solve all the tasks the first time without guidance from their teacher. They need to try again and again, persevering until they succeed.
- Students learn self-esteem, and this is one of the direct benefits of doing homework. If they cannot complete the assignments on time, they risk being ridiculed by their classmates and risk a low grade as well. Being able to consistently submit the work on time and do a great job at it immediately raises the self-esteem of students.
- One of the pros of homework is the fact that it teaches students how to stay organized, plan ahead and break complex tasks into smaller, more manageable parts. When one has to complete 4 different assignments in 3 days, one tends to be a lot more organized and attentive.
- Of course, homework gives students another chance to review class material. In many cases, students are not paying enough attention during class to learn everything. However, when they receive homework, they have to reread everything they wrote down (and even find additional information about some topics) to complete the assignments.
- One of the benefits of having homework is the fact that students are forced to solve complex problems on their own and learn how to work independently. When the teacher is not around to help the student, the student must take action and start working hard to complete the assignment on his or her own. The student learns that he or she must do things even when he or she doesn’t want to.
- Another benefit of school chores is the fact that the teacher can gauge how much of his class was understood by his students. When the teacher looks over the homework, he or she immediately observes the points that were not properly understood by the class.
- And homework teaches pupils that it is best to start early and work at your own pace that to start late and do a rush job. Students learn that every difficult task requires time to complete.
- Another one of the benefits of homework is the fact that students are inclined to look for tips and tricks online; tips and tricks that help them become more efficient and more knowledgeable. They may not realize it, but they are learning how to maximize their output and get more work done faster.
Some Noteworthy Homework Cons
Although there are so many homework benefits, there are also a couple of cons. As with everything, there are some problems as well – especially when homework is used repressively or is assigned in large amounts over a short period of time.
- Some teachers use homework as a form of repression. This is not helping students love the class and work on their assignments with pleasure. Instead, they are doing it out of fear, and it reflects in the quality of their homework.
- Many times teachers fail to think about how much homework their students already have when they assign a new school chore. In many cases, students don’t get any free time for days, which negatively impacts their social life.
- Some studies have found that homework doesn’t improve school performance. It doesn’t decrease it either. However, the same studies have concluded that there are no homework benefits and that students would learn just as much without it.
Bottom Line – Advantages of Homework
While there are some legitimate cons to homework, most people consider the advantages of homework to be worth the time students need to dedicate to it. However, students should get enough free time each day to disconnect from school and socialize with their friends and family. Failure to give young pupils time for socialization can have dramatic consequences over time. Even though the homework system is not the best by any means, it is better than encouraging the student to do nothing in his spare time (play video games until he falls asleep, in other words).
As long as homework does not put too much pressure on students, the benefits of school assignments are clear. Pupils learn to manage their time better, organize their projects better, reread all the class material, learn to find information from other sources, and even learn how to work independently. In addition, homework makes students more responsible and teaches them the value of self-esteem. Again, we are talking about a normal workload of homework. When students become stressed out and can’t find an hour or two each day to spend with their friends and family, we are already looking at a problem. But normal, regular homework should have only a positive impact on the pupil in the long term. But keep in mind, that whenever you need help with homework, you can get it with ease.