Should video games be considered a sport? This is an excellent topic for an argumentative essay. In fact, students frequently choose video games as a topic for their papers. Even though this topic seems pretty simple, it is actually not that easy to write a comprehensive paper on it. Remember that teachers have their own opinion on the subject. In most cases, teachers will not agree with considering video games a sport. Why? Because they associate video games with many of the problems their students are facing. When you write about video games as a sport, you basically need to convince your teacher of the merits of the games. This is not impossible to do, of course. You just need to find adequate evidence to support your claims. And, of course, write in a compelling and somewhat authoritative manner, as well as present all the relevant arguments that support your thesis statement.
Are Video Games a Sport Already?
Before you get down to writing, consider using homework help services. They will provide assistance you need. The first thing you need to think about when you start writing the should video games be considered a sport argumentative essay is whether or not these games are already a sport. You may have heard about eSports. There are many clubs participating in eSports, in a wide variety of games. Most of them are played in multiplayer and there are clear rules for all participants. Also, there are rewards for the winners – quite consistent rewards in many cases. If you analyze the structure of eSports competitions, it looks like professional gaming is a sport. But let’s take a look at the gaming industry as a whole. It’s making more money than movies (Red Dead Redemption 2, for example, beat Avengers: Infinity War, generating around $725 million in worldwide sales during it’s opening weekend) and it’s safe to say that videogames have become an influential player in today’s media. However, the debates whether or not video games can be considered as sport are still going on. Even though all videogames present some sort of a challenge for the players, not all of them can be considered sport, especially those games that involve only one player. Multiplayer games, however, are a different story.
Multiplayer Video Games Are A Sport
Many MMOs (mass multiplayer online) games have created large competitions with prize money funds that can count up to million dollars. Popular online game League of Legends, for example, had a $1 million prize for the winners of National League of Legends tournament. Another vivid example is DoTa 2 – hugely popular multiplayer game with a world-known tournament called the International. People from all over the world compete for a very attractive sums of money (in 2015, for example, the prize pool totalled over $18 million, which is impressive even for regular kinds of sports). Blizzard Entertainment has invested hugely into popularization of eSports, producing titles like Overwatch, World of Warcraft, Starcraft and others. Blizzcon, an annual gaming convention held by the developer, has become a massive and popular event, sponsored by T-Mobile and other companies. The entering ticket will cost you about $200. Overwatch World Cup is being held annually with international teams competing for a prize of $3.5 million. So whether or not you consider video games as sport, you cannot deny the fact that such games are popular and they make money. However, you are writing an argumentative essay and should consider different opinions. Besides, your teacher might not even know what Fortnite or PUBG is. It will take a while to explain why those games are so popular and could be really considered as sport. For now, however, let’s take a look at both sides of the argument.
Why Shouldn’t Video Games Be Considered a Sport: Arguments
There are many reasons why video games are not considered a sport. If you are wondering why shouldn’t video games be considered a sport, here are some of the main reasons:
- If video games would be considered a sport, so should chess and similar games. This is why video games are just considered games.
- Video games are not physical sports (they do not involve a physical activity) and cannot be compared to the latter.
- If sitting down and playing video games would be a sport, so should be eating, right?
- Some studies suggest video games are actually damaging to the human psychic
- There are no clear rules and the video games competitions are not properly regulated
So, are video games a sport? The arguments listed above are not in favor of this thesis statement. But perhaps there are some arguments that support this idea.
Reasons Why Video Games Should Be Considered a Sport: Arguments
If you want to support video games as a sport when writing the should video games be considered a sport argumentative essay, you can use any of these arguments in support:
- Video games take coordination, training and are very taxing on the mind
- Video games require attention, focus and very fast reflexes in most cases
- Even though it is not a physical activity, an electronic game requires a lot of energy to play
- One of the reasons why video games should be considered a sport is the fact that it is incredibly competitive
- Video games are played all over the world by millions of people
- It takes time, effort and a set of skills to become a professional gamer; not everyone can do it
- Many video games require strategy, tactics, and a very fast response time
- Sport is defined as a competitive activity that has strict rules; video game competitions have very strict rules that are enforced by live referees
So, should video games be considered a sport? The opinions are split and there is quite a debate going on all over the Internet. If you search online, you will find dozens of different opinions. Many people tend to disagree with video games as a sport because these games make people lazy. However, studies have not shown any link between laziness and electronic games. Are people playing chess lazy just because they are very good at playing chess?
Tips and Tricks to Write the Argumentative Essay
No matter how heated the debate may be, students still need to write the should video games be considered a sport argumentative essay. So, here are a few tips and tricks to help you with this:
- Use the five paragraph essay structure to your advantage.
- Read all the guidelines for writing an argumentative essay.
- Research the topic and find arguments that are supported by strong evidence.
- Write in an objective manner, even if you are an electronic sports fan.
- Do not try to lie or exaggerate the facts or you will be penalized.
- Writing an academic paper is not a game; make sure you proofread everything and that the essay is informative, properly formatted, and as interesting as possible.
Should video games be considered a sport? We don’t know; it’s your job to find out and write a paper about it. Good luck!