Informative essays are some of the common forms of writing in college. Although writing an informative essay is relatively easy, many are the times that students find it hard to craft top-notch papers. Often, students end up getting a fail or average grades. This brings us to the main question: “How do you write an informative essay?”
In this post, we will dig deeper into the mechanics of informative essays to help you understand what they are and how to write A-rated informative essays. Do not get content with a standard informative paper, this post will help you to rock it like a pro.
What Is An Informative Essay?
Before we can dive into the mechanics of writing an informative research paper, it is important to start with the informative essay definition. What is informative writing?
Informative essays are forms of academic writing given in most levels of academics, to inform the reader about a specific subject. They seek to answer questions such as who, why, when, where, and what. They can also answer ‘how’ by demonstrating how a specific thing is done.
NOTE: Informative essays are not anchored on expressing own opinion or seeking to convince people to take a stance. That is a reserve of persuasive essays. Well, if your informative essay is very impressive, readers might be impressed to dig more about the topic. But that has to be a decision they make on their own!
Now that you know what an informative paper is, we will now get into the mechanics of crafting a winning paper.
How to Write an Informative Essay
Like other types of essays, the secret of how to start an informative essay is picking a great topic and crafting an informative paper outline.
- Pick a Great Topic for Your Informative Essay
Although there are instances when your tutor will provide the topic you should write on, many are the times that you are allowed to select. In such a case, you need to pick something interesting and with ample resources. If you pick a topic with no resources, there is a danger of getting stuck midway!
- Develop an Outline for Your Informative Essay
Crafting your informative paper’s outline is the most crucial thing that will define how good or otherwise the final essay will be. The aim of the outline is to ensure that your points are carefully arranged to make reading easy.
When writing an informative essay, you should think of the outline like a table of content that tells the reader what to expect before perusing through a book. To craft the outline, you need to read widely about the topic to grasp the main ideas. Then, organize them well to make the essay coherent.
A basic outline of an informative essay consists of three key parts: introduction, body, and conclusion. Here is a sample outline (from A to E) and what to cover in each section.
Start by defining the topic. If you are writing about global warming, define what it is.
Go ahead and give some background info about the topic. This should be short but captivating. To make your essay interesting, consider throwing some statistics.
For example, if you are writing about obesity, some background would capture the global prevalence rates and growing danger.
Provide a thesis statement about the topic. This could be a relationship between one or several parameters in your topic. At this point, you also need to provide the scope of your informative essay.
- Main Body
- Write a Reference List
To demonstrate how you should craft an introduction, here is a sample. The introduction is for a topic: The History of Ireland.
Ireland, an island located North of Atlantic, is a country with one of the most interesting histories in the globe. Its history goes well beyond 3,000 BC when Newgrange megalithic tombs were built. Throughout Ireland’s extensive evolution, the Irish never tired of fighting for their independence. This rich history is evident via the island’s multiple castles such as Carlow Castle and Leighlinbridge Castle.
After a brief introduction, the bulk of your informative essay will fall in the main body. The body should be broken into individual paragraphs that explain the peculiarities of the topic via different points. If the essay is long, a number of paragraphs should be pooled together under a specific subtopic.
When writing a paragraph in the body, you should follow three main parts: claim, supporting evidence, and explanation. In the claim, you bring out the main point. Then, you support it using mode detailed information such as statistics, demonstrations, and quotations. And, this is not all. You should also explain the information. This will make it easy for the reader to understand what you are presenting.
If you are writing lengthy informative papers, you might also want to provide a sort of conclusion for every section. For example, if you are writing about the effects of smoking, every point you explain should be conclusive. However, this conclusion should be carefully done to demonstrate that you have finished one point and connect to the next one, as opposed to breaking the essay flow. Make sure to read informative paragraphs examples to hone your writing skills.
In the conclusion, you have the opportunity to summarize your essay. Here, the aim is to wrap the entire informative essay in just one or two paragraphs. Start by pointing the thesis statement you outlined in the introduction and carefully sum up the write-up. Then, demonstrate what was learned about the topic.
Finally, wrap the paper in a creative way to get the reader more into the subject. For example, you can close with a rhetoric question. The question will stick in the reader’s mind and, he/she will easily associate with the write-up all the time.
To show you how to write a great conclusion, here is a sample that you can follow when writing informative papers.
The process of donating blood came out as a relatively simple one. Many folks donate blood while watching a favorite movie, or reading a chapter of a famous book. The advances in technology have made the process less perilous, and now, more people can associate with it. The miniature time taken to donate blood can translate into a lifetime achievement and bliss knowing one thing: you saved a life somewhere.
After writing the conclusion, you should also craft a reference list. This is a list of all the resources that you used to prepare your informative essay. They include books, journals, reports, websites, and online publications.
Tips and Tricks of Writing a Winning Informative Essay
While the outline we have discussed is the blueprint to crafting a great informative essay, it is not enough. You have to do more than that. That is right. The following are some useful tips and tricks on how to write an informative essay:
- Brainstorm your topic to understand it comprehensively. When you define informative essay writing, the most notable thing is that you are informing the reader about the subject of interest. However, you need to do this in the context of the latest discoveries, studies, and emerging technologies. By brainstorming the topic, you are able to understand the extent of the subject’s application and present more details to the reader.
- To craft a great paper, you should make sure to read examples of informative essays on the same subject. This will help you to understand how such papers are done in the subject of interest. You can get an informative example of informative papers in your college library or online libraries.
- Be factual about the content you present. Because you are writing an informative essay to rake the highest possible mark, it is prudent to be factual. This means capturing details of the subject of interest with precision.
- Make sure to cite all your sources. When working on any type of academic writing, you have to provide the right references. This will help you in three ways. One, you are able to avoid academic dishonesty (plagiarism) by giving credit to the sources of your information. Two, it helps your academic work to stand out. Three, referencing is an important component when grading students’ work.
- Start by creating a draft before writing the final paper. One of the tricks used by top writers is ensuring they do their work systematically. When writing an informative essay, you should start by working on a draft and refine it severally to get the final paper. This allows you to identify gaps, weigh every point and confirm the paper is presented well.
- Make sure to develop your writing skills progressively. Even if you have the best outline, the way you write is still dependent on your writing skills. For example, you need to know how to craft good sentences and use connectors to make your essay cohesive and interesting.
- Ensure to strictly follow your department’s guideline on writing informative essays. When tutors ask students to write informative essays, they provide some guidelines on what should be done. For example, you should consult your department to know whether you are required to use APA or MLA writing style. The recommended writing style should guide you when formatting the title page, in-text citation, and references.
Informative Essays Shouldn’t Stress You – Rock Them Like a Pro
From this discussion, it is clear that writing informative papers can be an exciting undertaking. It is an exploratory route where you report info about a specific topic without weighing your opinion so much. Well, you simply grasp the concepts of a topic and present them logically to rake top marks. To avoid getting stuck, we indicated that you should use informative essay examples for colleges or high school to learn how things are done.
Even with this simplification, we are not going to lie here: writing a great informative essay requires skills that can take time to develop. Often, students find themselves struggling with average marks from their informative essays even after following top writing guides. But this is not the sole reason that can make you fail to craft top-notch informative papers. Some college students get stuck because the topic is complex or do not have the right resources. In other instances, the deadline might be too tight or you have other engagements. No matter the reason that is making it difficult for you to craft a winning informative essay, there is a way out: seeking writing help.
Writing help is provided by expert writers who understand how to write a good informative essay. Besides, they have vast experience writing similar papers in the past. For the expert writers, no informative essay is too complex. They have the resources, have handled similar tasks before, and are willing to get you the best grades.
With this guide and expert writers only a click away, nothing should come between you and crafting the best informative essay.