It’s considered one of the most devastating events in the US history. Over 600,000 people died in the war, and it’s believed that every civilian surviving the war knew at least one person who died. It’s no wonder students of American history will at some point or another be tasked with writing a Civil War essay – whether in high school, college, or graduate school. There are numerous topics to write about with the most popular one being on the causes of the Civil War essay. We’re first going to cover some of the background material before discussing some tips and some important topics you may want to consider for an assignment.
Why Did The Civil War Start?
Most people will emphasize on the moral issue of slavery as the single most significant cause of the Civil War. But that is not true – bigger problems are those of economics and the rights of states. It's well-known that even President Lincoln would have avoided conflict altogether if it meant that the South would refrain from seceding and declaring the Confederate States of America. The President’s move to emancipate the slaves came after the Confederate generals and political leaders rebelled against the Northern or Union states.
The Confederate flag, referred to as the Stars and Bars, was introduced in March 1861 and flew over the Southern States’ Confederate Capital in Montgomery, Alabama. The second version of the flag is the one that is most commonly known as the Stainless Banner, and it was the official flag between 1863 and 1865. The first flag was widely criticized by Confederate leaders who thought that it closely resembled the Union flag, especially when it hung in a natural state on flag poles which soldiers carried into battle. The second version of the flag was created to replicate what had been referred to as the battle flag. It quickly grew in popularity for its unique design.
Some of the lesser-known effects of the Civil War are that it established the US as a supreme power in the world. Many monarchies in Europe believed that the US was on the edge of an economic, social, and political collapse. Indeed, many felt that Lincoln would not be able to rule in the Southern states even after a military victory. However, always confident, President Lincoln spoke to the importance of the war as a means to test the resolve of the country’s citizens and the establishment of a democracy. Even if it meant the Union States would have lost the war, the President believed in the merits of a country that would be represented by its people – regardless of the outcome and reasons for having gone to war with its own people.
Causes Of The Civil War Essay
Writing this type of essay is a challenging task for students even today after so much scholarly work has been done on the subject. Generally, it is because this period of the United States – with all of the political, social, economic, and ethical factors that were inherent – makes this dark time highly-complex and deserving the further study. There are simply too many questions to ask and even more explanations or answers to these questions. One can write a "Which event was the start of the Civil War?" essay or "What was the Civil War fought over?" essay, and you would get hundreds of different answers – each one just as legitimate, and as likely as the previous. But that is exactly the reason to bring this up in a discussion.
Tips For Writing A Great American Civil War Essay
- Consider numerous Civil War essay topics and conduct a little background research. This subject has been studied extensively, so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding plenty of academic resources. However, you should strive to push the envelope in the sense of exploring or discussing something that has not been studied in-depth. Focus on a topic that interests you and inspires you to learn more about the event.
- Gather your notes and arrange them into related sub-topics. That will allow you to plan and create causes of the Civil War essay outline. Make sure you include only the most important points in support of your Civil War essay thesis argument. The information presented in the body paragraphs should flow logically, moving from one point to the another efficiently and effectively to impress the reader in the way you intend.
- Start writing your essay on Civil War rough draft. The draft does not need to be a display of perfect academic writing. You only need to get your thoughts down in a semi-logical way in one place. Write everything that comes to your mind, using your outline as a guide, and then set the draft aside to give you the time to reset your thoughts and clear your mind of the subject.
- Your original thoughts on the causes of the Civil War essay might not be exactly what you wanted to state originally. As such, you will certainly need to revise your content upon evaluation. It’s best to move away from the essay for a couple of days. Look towards re-thinking your argument and supporting evidence from a different perspective. Think about the reader and consider all of the questions that will arise.
- Conduct a thorough edit and proofread of your assignment. It will be easier and more effective to do these on a printed document instead of the computer. If possible, ask a friend or classmate to review your work afterward to ensure there isn’t a small mistake you may have missed. Editing and proofreading are both important activities that are necessary for earning a top score on any assignment.
Interesting Civil War Essay Questions To Consider
- Is territorial expansion what caused the Civil War? How could President Lincoln have avoided conflict between the Northern and Southern states?
- Did the conflict over states’ rights play a larger role? Explain the main cause describing how the war broke out and answer the question - was the Civil War inevitable?
- With the northern industry as large as it was, how did the Confederate Army last so long against the Union Army?
- Tech advancements are pegged as the advancements that changed the war. So why did the South lose the Civil War?
- What role did the Emancipation Proclamation have on the political events occurring during the war? When did the Civil War end?
Civil War Essay Help
As one of the most important events in American history, teachers will keep challenging students to write an essay on the Civil War. Your work toward this goal is commendable. But now, you need that extra boost to ensure your essay about the Civil War earns the highest possible score. Hiring a professional academic service is a great decision for you as you are guaranteed to have a writing expert who knows everything about the topic, producing an original assignment at a price you can readily afford. All you have to do is to place your order online, provide all of the details and requirements, sit back, and relax while you let a pro handle all of the hard stuff.